Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Hooray for Ouray - Have an Ice Day!!

So as you might be able to tell form the title of this post, Ouray Colorado passes the test. More than passes the test. WAY more than passes the test!

We found a great homebrew bar - yes, a homebrew bar. Not a microbrewery, Home Brew. The place is unlike anything we'd ever seen, complete with a hanging swing chair mounted on a race that allows the bartender, "Mr. Grumnpy Pants" (aka Hutch) to slide down the length of the bar without standing up! He makes great stuff too - our favorite was the Scotch Ale. We are going back for more tonight.

 Here's Hutch with my Tour of his homebrews!

Other than the beer, we have found the climbing to be quite agreeable. The Box Canyon Falls area is stunningly beautiful, the ice is really stunning and the climbing is... well, it's amazing! We top roped some WI3's yesterday and played on some shorter, easier stuff today. In fact I lead my first ice climb - a WI2 - onsite today. It was kick ass! The worst part of leading ice for me was realizing I was going to have to spend a lot more money on gear now. I loved it!

Me at the top of my first ice lead!

We will enjoy 2 more days of climbing here in Ouray before heading home. I hope things are going as well for Rich and Wendie on the Ski Holiday as they are here.



Till next time!!!

 

3 comments:

  1. Brilliant! That beer looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving these posts! Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohh scottish ale, when will i ever see you again :(

    ReplyDelete