Friday, January 21, 2011

Walk down memory lane...

So, no to toot my own horn here, but just over a year ago two goofy kids came walking into the REI I used to work at. I, being the resident Geek In Charge Of All Things Geek, took an immediate liking to these guys. I asked them where they were going and they replied "We're going to hike the John Muir Trail!"

They were looking at $5 disposable rain ponchos.

I flatly stated "Really. You're going to hike the JMT huh?"

They gave me a helpless look of bewilderment. We talked for quite some time about the massive amount of gear they planned to take, the choice of footwear, food, shelter and all the rest. It became apparent to me that some sort of intervention was needed.

"The JMT huh... I don't think so. I know where you're going..."

Another blank, incredulous stare greeted me.

"No, I know where you are going... You're GOING TO DIE!"

And thus began a very deeply superficial relationship between customer and merchant. One marred with serious conversation, discussion of bio-mechanics and foot type, caloric intake and why Gore-Tex is the hands down winner for waterproof garments. It lasted up until a week before they departed when I bade them farewell for the last time, much the way a proud father might do as he sees his daughter off to war. 

God I wish I could remember half of the shit we talked about now.

Anyway - after trials involving misfired stoves, horribly mangled hands, epic training hikes and general oversight, they made it. All 211 miles of trail. They lost a lot of weight, gained a lot of insight and had an adventure that will be remembered for years to come as they settle into their chosen paths.

Something I too hope to attain.

But God I wish I remembered half the shit we talked on those rarefied evenings, when 3 like minds came together to annoy each other with opinion. It would help a lot now that I too am embarking on a similar journey.

Have a look at their blog about the ordeal HERE  The link of course starts with a couple of posts that mention me, their favorite REI employee... not always in a complementary tone!

Christopher

No comments:

Post a Comment