Sunday, January 23, 2011

(Not so) Grand Junction

13 hours in a CRV is not training for the JMT.

13 hours in a CRV is not training for anything.

13 hours in a CRV from L.A. gets you to Grand Junction, CO. It gets you to a barely passable brewhouse called Landslide where the beer is watery, the ceasar salad tastes like Miracle Whip and the calzone is... well... not the greatest. But from there you can retire to the palacial environs of the Roadway Inn. Thankfully the toilet has a strong flush and the heater works.

Tomorrow we depart again, this time for the ice climbing! This will tax us all I'm sure, but at least I will be able to feel my ass - we are only an hour and a half from the desired location, no more sitting for indefinete stretches with fleeting glipses of places you would rather be.

Everything else being equal, we did get to see some amazing geology today. The land outside Zion is quite remarkable and I hope to return soon to amble about with a tent on my back.

The wireless connection we have is spotty to be kind, so I must allow the owner of this compouter to check his email now. (Not to mention the connection is so slow I fear running spell check!)

Wishing Rich and Wendie the best on thier own Colorado adventure,

Christopher

PS: The 4.0 beer curse that is called Utah being broken is about the best thing I can currently say about Grand Junction. I'm sure the town is nice in the day, but mindlessly driving about at night... aint.

No comments:

Post a Comment