Sunday, February 6, 2011

And then there were 3

My resolve to post at least something everyday has been degraded as you probably already know. What you may not have known is that I planned to update this blog on a daily basis.

So we're even.

Actually, We Are Three now.

While I was away front pointing up waterfall ice in Colorado, the highly esteemed Reverend Di Fiori was diagnosed with an on going case of Plantar fasciitis. (Yes Rich, that is an NCBI link you see there - it was the first thing to pop up on The All Seeing Oracle.)

This is a malady I hope to never contract. I have met myriad people who have been affected by it's singular charms and I can honestly say I want to keep as much distance between my tender tootsies and it as possible. The tale of Rev. Russ' battle with the condition is full of hopeful woe. Training hikes with a paltry 12 pounds on his back virtually crippled him. You see, this particular pain in the heel causes normal people to feel there are red hot splinters of glass being shoved into their heels with every step.

While pain killers make a trip to the can a bearable thing, 9 out of 10 Doctors agree that a 200 mile hike with the condition might not be the best idea. Especially since healing (no pun intended) time ranges from weeks to years depending on the subject affected.

My own personal loss due to The Rev's departure is almost too much to bear. I had hoped to glean an entire semesters worth of Evolutionary Biology from him as the miles unfolded. Now I am stuck listening to Rich whine about how his very expensive lens won't bring the Bighorn Sheep into focus between bouts of Chuck regaling us with tales of pulling donkeys out of steep walled canyons.

Wait. That's not 100% true.

I look forward to filling Rich's pack with rocks as he leaves only footprints and takes only pictures, and look forward to the security of having Chuck's EMT training along for the duration. Their stories are welcome - even if I've heard them before!

What was I thinking???

But to the Reverend Di Fiori - I wish you a speedy recovery and good health in the future. If the fates conspire to bring us together at some point on our odyssey, we shall all be richer for the occurrence. (Doubly so if Sara chooses to come with you - I have many, many questions about the Sierra Crest I am sure she could answer!)

Heel well Sir Russ.

Christopher


But to Reverend Di Fiori - I wish you a speedy recovery and the best of health! I am sad tt

No comments:

Post a Comment