Friday, April 1, 2011

Gear Review: TrekSta Evolution Mid GTX


Measured weight (size 10): 2 lb 2.5 oz

 Pic of the boots after a weekend in Bishop!


First impressions: Well made, very interesting footbed insert, maybe a little lacking in aggressive tread. Fit was as advertised, plenty of room up front with a very nice underfoot feel. The sculpted midsole was immediately noticeable and garnered favourable comments from co-workers and friends who tried on the boot, which felt more like a high end running shoe than a hiking boot.

First reservations: The heel counter on the left foot seemed to pinch the inside of my left heel, just forward of the Achilles tendon. Worries of blisters and hot spots came hard and fast. This may have happened during shipping and should be easily fixed if it turns out to be a problem. The tread pattern seemed a bit passive and the IceLock portions appeared to be less than durable, the rubber being very soft. 

  View of the tread - the stripy bits are the IceLock which seemed to work fine!

First Impression Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

First Testing:
Oak Crest Institute of Science
Pasadena, CA
Elevation aprox. 800 feet
Temperature - 72° F

Worn around the lab for 3 days, the boots performed marvelously! I have notoriously sweaty, hot feet so my decision to go with a GoreTex boot had me worried. While these boots were obviously warmer than my regular Keen Arroyo sandals, the Gore Extended Comfort waterproof membrane lived up to the hype. After having other proprietary ‘waterproof’ barriers fail on me, I have become a steadfast convert regarding all things GoreTex in recent months, but having my feet wrapped in it always put me off.

Seems my fears were unfounded – yes, the boots were no where near as ventilated as sandals, but my feet have been hotter in running shoes made with nothing more than mesh in the same conditions!
 The innovative insert which I like very much indeed!


The very unique footbed insert was another thing that gave me pause at first. I have used stabilizing footbeds in the past (Superfeet, Sole, etc.) but never found them comfortable. The TrekSta insert uses two different densities of foam to help cushion the metatarsal and calcaneus (aka the ball of your foot and your heel) but also incorporates a semi flexible arch. The combination of insert and contoured midsole seem to be a winning combination. Cushion and control – the Holy Grail of footwear!

Second Testing:
Buttermilk Country & Volcanic Tableland
Bishop, CA
Elevation: Aprox 4100 – 4700 feet
Temperature Range: 30° - 70° F           

Used as an approach shoe for a 3 day bouldering trip, the TrekSta Evolution GTX boot was the only footwear other than rock shoes I brought along for the trip. Conditions at night, while I was awake and mobile, were flirting with the 30’s and during the day they ranged from the 40’s in snow covered Buttermilk Country to the 70’s at the Sad Boulders. Not once were my feet uncomfortable.

But what about the heel counter and traction that worried me only a couple of days prior? Neither one turned out to be an issue. The boots performed admirably on the hike through 4 inches of snow up the hill to the Iron Man Traverse, and equally as well up the ¼ mile sandy trail leading to the Happy Boulders the next day. Traction was never an issue – something other shoes I’ve used in these conditions cannot claim. The heel counter, which still feels weird every time I put the boots on, simply was not an issue. Not to mention how well the boots worked while scrambling or even climbing easy 5th class boulder problems.

For the climbers who might be reading this: Could they edge better? Sure. But the Evolution is decidedly not an approach shoe. Did they smear well? Absolutely! How about that heel hook? Yes, I tried this too, just to see how it would work – very well it turns out!

Rating after testing: 4 out of 5 stars 

Why? Only get 4 of 5 stars because I have yet to test them with a full pack. Because I have yet to test them on a hike of any notable distance. Because I have yet to convince myself the heel counter will not be an issue.

Overall I am very impressed by this relatively new footwear manufacturer, and indeed impressed by their entry into a type of footwear I have long maligned – light hikers. Working in the industry, fitting countless people into inferior boots I knew they were buying because they were inexpensive and looked ‘cool’, I developed a distaste for the light hiker. Why not simply go for sandals or trail runners if all you will be doing is hiking Grifith Park? If you think crampons might be needed, get some good alpine boots!

Right or wrong, my opinion has changed for the better thanks to TrekSta. If the boots will hold up to a JMT thru-hike is yet to be seen, but I have a feeling these boots will be my go-to footwear for training hikes leading up to it. 

I will post more information on the boots as I use them - I expect very good things from them!

NOTE: TrekSta USA very graciously offered these boots to me at a discount rate. The opinions expressed above have in no way been affected by this. If the boots were crap, I would say so - they simply are anything but!

1 comment: